My Shop on Spoonflower

Friday, September 28, 2012

Wallpaper on Spoonflower

My maternal grandparents owned a paint and wallpaper store in Miami, Oklahoma in the 1950s and 1960s.  The introduction of wallpaper on Spoonflower has brought back a lot of memories for me.
I used to spend summers with my grandparents and everyday, except Sundays, we'd go to Davis Paint Store and spend the day.

One wall of  the store was covered with storage bins.  There were flaps over each of the bins, each flap covered with a different design of wallpaper.  Inside each of these bins were rolls of wallpaper matching whatever design was on the outside flap.  I'd lift the flaps and stare in at all the rolls of wallpaper.  I enjoyed looking at the different designs and feeling the textures of each design.

There was a tall wooden cart with wheels that had a large ball of twine.  When a customer came in to look at wallpaper and then make a choice, my grandfather loaded the rolls up on that cart and pushed the cart to the checkout counter.   If there were several rolls of wallpaper, my grandfather bundled them with the twine from the cart.

I particularly enjoyed it when someone would come in to buy a gallon of paint.  Then I could watch the can of paint shake up and down and all around.  It was a simpler time then.  No television, just a radio.  No cell phones, hand held games.  The only game I played on those hot summer days was tic-tac-toe with my grandmother. She and I would sit out front and mind the store while my grandfather rested at noon on a cot in the back of the store. 

It occurred to me the other day that that wall of different wallpaper designs that was inside my grandparents' paint and wallpaper store had been recreated in my "Fear of Commitment" half bath and laundry room.  It's covered with different swatches of Spoonflower wallpaper.  Here's a picture:

The wall is covered with Spoonflower wallpaper swatches of some of my designs.
 
The window is curtained with a hemmed and trimmed piece of fabric showing swatches from one of my Spoonflower design collections.

My fear of commitment to wallpaper comes from an incident when I was growing up.  My parents had wallpaper in every room of their 1950s ranch style house.  At some point, my parents decided they would rather have paint.  What followed afterward should never be experienced by young children.  Oh the wailing and gnashing of teeth as water was sprayed on the walls to loosen the  wallpaper paste so that the wallpaper could be scraped off!

But, make note, Spoonflower's wallpaper is not like the wallpaper of old.  It is so simple to put up and even simpler to remove. The texture is lovely and the colors in all the varied designs are rich and vivid.

Check  out Spoonflower  and their new wallpaper and decal designs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment