My Shop on Spoonflower

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Fabric Design using digital photographs

Many of my designs on Spoonflower are based on photographs or scans of original artwork.  The fantastic thing about living in this moment in time is that we live in the age of digital.  We can take pictures of objects and work with them instantaneously rather than going to a dark room and developing our photographs or, even better, throwing a roll of film in a drawer until we get around to taking it for developing to one of those tiny Kodak Photomats that used to sit out in the middle of shopping center parking lots.

Our digital photographs can be manipulated using Adobe Photoshop or Corel Painter Essentials, just to name two.  There are also online editing sites such as PicMonkey and Sumo.  The more I work with this kind of software, the more I learn how cool pixels are.  For instance, one morning a beautiful morning glory was blooming outside our front porch so I got the camera and took this picture:

I came back into the house and took the SD card out of the camera, opened up Adobe Photoshop and ended up with this photograph:






Now, whether or not  I choose to inflict this design on Spoonflower(!), or perhaps I ask myself the question, "Isn't a purple morning glory more beautiful than a psychedelic one?", that this can even be done is amazing to me.

Happy designing!




No comments:

Post a Comment