My Shop on Spoonflower

Monday, September 24, 2012

Designing your own font

I was doing my usual "lurking" in the Spoonflower-Flickr Fabric Design discussion group.  I always learn something new.  Spoonflower has an upcoming contest which involves designing a calendar for 2013.  Fonts came into discussion.  I knew someone designed those fonts that are available in the different software programs that we use on our computers.  I was not aware, though, that those fonts are copyrighted.  So in designs that involve text, designers walk a fine line regarding copyright infringement.  What to do?

Design your own font.  I "Googled" designing your own font and found this web site:

http://www.yourfonts.com/

It's a fairly simple process.  You print off a template provided by the web site, then carefully fill in each block with the appropriate letters and numbers, using a black felt tip pen.  Once done, scan the completed template at 300 dpi and upload it to the web site.  In a few minutes, a sample of your font will appear.

Your own personal font costs around $9.95.  But it's worth peace of mind.  You know that all of your designs which contain text will have your very own font.

Just thought I'd share. I'm going to practice some more on this font designing.

Update on 9/25/2012:  Part of this very post appeared in my font, Summersgaze 2, last night when I posted this entry. I'm not sure what happened and I won't question the powers that be, but the font will work and stay on documents and artwork created on your computer.


No comments:

Post a Comment