My Shop on Spoonflower

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Wallpaper and Decals too!


In addition to fabric, Spoonflower announced this morning that it will begin printing wallpaper and decals  using indie designers' designs.  This is exciting news.  I had the opportunity to try out the wallpaper and I ordered swatches of several of my fabric designs to see how they looked on wallpaper.  Fantastic.

Spoonflower's printing process picks up all the color and detail that a designer puts into his or her design.  There is a visible richness and depth to the design when printed on wallpaper.

The surface of the wallpaper is smooth and just slightly -- very slightly glossy -- actually I would call it a "glossy matte" which I know is a contradiction.    

Here are two photos  of my design, Blue River Stalactites printed on Spoonflower Kona cotton and printed on a swatch of Spoonflower wallpaper:




I am afraid of wallpaper, commitment phobe that I am. I took one swatch and applied it to one of my walls.  The surface of the wall was very slightly textured.  The paper is easy to work with and easy to apply.  I left the swatch on for five days.  On the fifth day I removed it.  The wallpaper is easy to put on and easy to remove.  There is a brief video shot of my hand removing the wallpaper in the video above..

As Spoonflower says, the wallpaper is great for people who rent their homes, apartments, duplexes, etc. 

Spoonflower is an easy web site to work with.  Setting up your home page and shop is fairly simple.  If you have questions, there are lots of other designers to answer your questions or you can contact Spoonflower directly.  Spoonflower posts regularly to its blog and  there are lots of answers to common questions posted there.

There is no fee to join.  You can upload a design and see what it will look like in fabric, wallpaper or a decal for free.  Your designs will need to be proofed before they can be put up for sale which does involve money but Spoonflower tells you about creating collections so that the proof swatches will be as inexpensive as possible. And, if one of your designs sells, even if it is just a swatch, you will receive ten percent of the sale in Spoondollars which can be applied to your purchases of fabric or wallpaper. 

If  you have ever thought about designing your own fabric or wallpaper, give Spoonflower a try.  Spoonflower . . . what a concept!

No comments:

Post a Comment