My Shop on Spoonflower

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

#SpoonChallenge #7: Book

I know, I know.  So where is the book?  Well, books are made up of words and I am in love with words so I thought I'd do a doodle of how the name "Summersgaze" came to be.  I get this calendar every year called "Forgotten Words" and about 10 years ago, one of the words, I think, was "summersgaze."  I say I think because I can't locate any references to it now.  But I do remember how it had something to do with how the word "gossamer" came to be.  In late summer, geese molt and feathers float all about.  (We had geese so I can attest to the floating feathers.)  Somehow the floating feathers and the gossamer that floats about in the sky in early autumn -- those two things became associated.  I know that this makes absolutely no sense but that is how I came up with "Summersgaze."  And I really wish I could find that calendar entry -- I tore it out and put it someplace safe because I thought it was such a beautiful word, "summersgaze."

And this is apropos of nothing but the other day the comic strip "Shoe" had a pretty phrase: "sustained darkness with scattered stars." 

No comments:

Post a Comment