My Shop on Spoonflower

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Spoonflower patches to the rescue again.



My daughter is a busy mother of three children, the oldest being 7 and the youngest an ornery 2, with a 5 year old in between.  She was in a rush the other morning cleaning, and as she later said, "I don't know why I was using bleach while wearing a good skirt."  The bleach splashed onto her black skirt.  She asked me if I could think of something to do and I thought about what I'd done with my Fossil bag.

I looked through my Spoonflower test swatches and found "Seems Like Old Times."  Since it's a pattern in repeatable squares, I clipped out one square with the pretty lady.  I used one of those squares that Spoonflower sends out with the printed fabric and used that as a backing.  Between, I put in a bit of quilt batting and sewed it up, using a top stitch across the small square.  I had an antique button just looking for a home and that was sewn in the corner.

You might have guessed by now that the buttons scattered across the skirt are where tinier drops of bleach landed.  Of course, looking at the photograph of my handiwork through the eyes of the camera, I could have done a better job of stitching.  To the naked eye, though, the skirt looks really cute.  I hope she likes it.

The lady in the design is from a scan of old sheet music that was purchased at an estate sale in the 1980s in Miami, Oklahoma.  The sheet music is from before 1920.  I included the lady in a collage I did a few years ago.  I chose the name for the fabric design. The sheet music the image was scanned from was not the same song as the title of  my design.  The look of the sheet music lady just reminded me of the song's performance by Diane Keaton in Woody Allen's "Annie Hall."

No comments:

Post a Comment