My Shop on Spoonflower

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fabric and some designers on Spoonflower

When I was small,  there was a department store, JC Penneys, located in the old Capitol Hill section of Oklahoma City. In late July my mother and I would drive there, walk down the stairs, and, in the basement of the store, were beautiful bolts of fabric.  Late July meant school would be starting in about a month and we were there to pick out fabric for my school dresses.  I could take a long, long time . . . probably what seemed like forever to my mother . . . deciding on what designs I wanted.  More importantly, though, was how did the fabric feel?  

When I found Spoonflower, I ordered one of the sample swatches books.  Lovely textures, especially the organic cotton sateen and the organic cotton interlock knit.   If you are involved with fabric, you are a tactile person too.  I used to do handmade papermaking, but making handmade paper is physically intense and the energy to do it has faded.  I still have quite a stash of handmade paper, though, and I enjoyed the years that I did it, taking workshops and sharing my craft.

There are so many imaginative, creative, talented people currently contributing to Spoonflower.  When I look at the designs, I feel like I can see a tiny bit of how that designer looks at things.  That is what art is, isn't it?  A manifestation of what is inside a person coming out.  It's a brave thing to do -- to create and let other people seen what one has created.

Here are some fabrics I have purchased recently from designers on Spoonflower:

I'm currently working on a pillow using designer Su_G's fabric design Manly Lines of Chalk

From left to right, back row: My Garden by Nekanen; Johnny Bump Ups by Beebumble; 18th Century Karakuri Tea
Serving Doll by Zandloopster.  Front row, left to right: Pick Me! by whimzwhirled and FlowerJournal II by weavingmajor
These images were taken out in my little house, Summersgaze, where there is only natural light, and a morning light at a northern angle at that.   I did not use a flash.  The colors are much more intense to the naked eye.  Maybe I should have used a flash, but I've provided links to all the fabric designs so they can be viewed in detail.

1 comment:

  1. You have a beautiful way to explain your feelings about fabric. I love all the poetry you put in your comments, and I agree totally with you. Art is a feeling, something inside us that just flow.

    ReplyDelete